Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am looking for software that primarily let me mix sound over all devices, sound-cards etc.

For example to have sound mixed over a blue-tooth headset and laptop speakers.

It should also be possible to see where which apps (Like SKype for example) want to send sound where.

(This seems to be a bit different from what one usually looks for in an audio mixer).

Anything within Audacity?

share|improve this question
Maybe something like VAC? – slhck Jan 27 '12 at 13:26
Perhaps - but it is PAY – Olav Jan 27 '12 at 14:54

For Windows 7, Stereo Mix like this:

  1. Open Sound panel
  2. Select Speakers as the default playback device
  3. Go to the "Recording" tab
  4. Right click and enable "Show Disabled Devices"
  5. A recording device called "Wave Out Mix", "Mono Mix" or "Stereo Mix" (this was my case) should appear
  6. Right click on the new device and click "Enable"
  7. Right click on the new device and click "Set as Default Device"
  8. Double click on the new device to open the Properties window
  9. Go to the "Listen" tab
  10. Click on the "Listen to this device" checkbox
  11. Select your HDMI device from the "Playback through this device" list

And you're done, the drawback is that you won't have a microphone selected as default recording device, but for what concerns me I couldn't care less.


If not, then probably VAC (payware) from comment.

It might depend on audiocards and drivers.

share|improve this answer

Yes, there is something within Audacity. It's a bit hard to find, but it's actually even documented properly.

Here's the crucial bit:

enter image description here

Select your speaker device and Audacity will record everything that you hear through your speakers.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .