Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to update my "mix-down" setup for audio recording, and I'm unclear what equipment I need.

I currently have a Roland VS-1880 multitrack recorder. It offers an RCA SPDIF digital out. I ran the digital out into a Turtle Beach Montego II sound card on a Windows 98 box. The Turtle Beach card had RCA SPDIF digial ins. I used Sound Forge on the computer to record the input coming in from the VS-1880 and mixed down songs in real time.

Secondary, I would also convert audio cassettes to digital form using a Midiman Flying Calf A/D converter. ( Midiman is now M-Audio ). The converter accepted the analog RCA outs from a tape deck and gave me an RCA SPDIF Digital Out, which I ran into the Montego II Sound Card.

This setup worked great for many years; but the Windows 98 machine has outgrown it's usefulness. The Turtle Beach Sound card is long since discontinued and drivers do not exist for current operating systems. After a half day trying to get it working i a Windows 2003 box, I gave up.

It would be my preference not to have to replace the VS-1880, or the Flying Calf. I'd like to replace the Win98 computer with an old HP Laptop running Windows XP. This laptop has both Firewire and USB.

How do I get the RCA SPDIF Outs from my two devices into a laptop?

It appears that the Edirol UA-1D is exactly what I need, however the unit seems to be no longer available.

Most other units appear to offer digital inputs use Mini-Toslink. Two units I found were the M-Audio Transit and Edirol UA-1Ex.

So, onto the questions:

What equipment do I need to get the RCA SPDIF Digital out of my units into a laptop? Is it possible to get a cable from my RCA SPDIF outs to a MiniToslink in?

Reviews seem mixed as to whether USB devices like this are worthwhile. Are there alternative devices I should be exploring?

I'd prefer not to have to spend $5K on a high end recording / conversion unit.

Thanks; and I hope this question is deemed appropriate for this site. :-)

share|improve this question

migrated from Sep 9 '09 at 14:47

This question came from our site for system and network administrators.

up vote 1 down vote accepted

I was going to suggest to the M-Audio Transit. But, I also recommend the M-Audio Firewire Solo recording interface. It has rca spdif in and out. It is like $200 bucks new and you can find used ones for 100-150. I own one and it works great.

solo back

solo front

share|improve this answer
On paper this sounds like exactly what I need, although I wish there was a cheaper option. If I were to go w/ M-Audio Transit, do you know what type of cable / connection I'd need to go from the RCA SPDIF to a 1/8" digital? – Reboog711 Sep 10 '09 at 15:53
I ended up getting the M-Audio Fast Track Pro; which works except for the fact that I can't monitor the input through the computer's speakers. – Reboog711 May 30 '10 at 19:35

Well, we have a m-audio mbox 2 which has rca spdif input, and comes with protools. It's less than 1K usd (ours was about 800 to 900 singapore dollars) and should work i think. One craveat is the software needs at LEAST 1 gb of ram.

share|improve this answer
The MBox 2 or MBox 2 Pro appear to have exactly what I want.… For the sake of completeness, the MBox 2 Mini doesn't have digital I/O; and the MBox 2 Micro doesn't have any input at all. Thank you for the answer. – Reboog711 Sep 10 '09 at 15:50

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.