I am looking between two options, a pair of Emulex LPe1150-E cards or a pair of Dell XR997 cards. What I'm looking to do:
- I have a RAID6 array with an NTFS volume on an Areca card.
- I have my i5-2500k computer in my room.
- My files I want far away (~30m wire path) in a rack case.
- I won't settle for 1 gigabit speeds, nor do I want to mix traffic on my network, so I want a dedicated link.
- One huge single volume showing up as a drive in Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.
- Server will be some Linux distro. It will be an i7-970.
Would the Dell NIC with iSCSI be really too taxing on CPU cycles? This seems like the easiest route, as far as setting it up, and I know it will give me my file, but maybe really taxing on the hardware. I am really clueless about the alternate route, with Fibre Channel. Can that accomplish what I want? I don't get where people get their knowledge. Is it handed down through the IT generations like secret society-type stuff? I only ask because I can't seem to find any information on this. I have no problems understanding hardware, it's just the software side of things that menace my brain. I am racked because the cost of both is pretty equal, but I can't get into adventurism in seeing if one thing works, but then it doesn't. I don't pull much of an income, so I can't just go buying hardware left and right to play around with. I need a solution that I know will work.