I'm having exactly the same problem, but can add some info.
1) I downloaded the ISO image of VS2008 Pro to start and burned the CD. This CD causes the described problem on my system but not on three others in my office.
2) I have a shrink wrapped copy of VS2880 Standard that causes exactly the same problem... but again only on my laptop.
3) I tried using an external DVD drive on my laptop but it made no difference.
4) I disabled autoplay via instructions I found on MSDN, thinking that it might be happening once the installer started to run, but it didn't help. I verified autoplay was disabled by using another CD with an auto-run installer and making sure it didn't start, but the VS2008 DVD still won't mount.
5) If I start my computer or windows explorer, I get the frame but it never populates. I can kill it with task manager and even choose "shut down" but ultimately I just have to hold down the power switch.