The Windows Explorer in Windows 7 has got to be one of the worst ones yet, I think only superseded in annoyances by the one in Windows Vista.
Typical sequence of events:
- Win+R to open the Run dialog.
- Type in let's say W: and hit Enter.
- Explorer opens there, and I start typing a folder name, let's say Music.
- Once it's selected I hit Enter, except the default selection is the column header, so the first Enter only re-sorts my view by Name.
- I hit Enter again, and this time, finally, it enters my folder.
- I start typing something, let's say Stratovarius, but I mistype it, get the ding sound, and end up at let's say Santana.
- I immediately want to start retyping Stratovarius, but I can't. Ever since Windows 7 they've increased the delay it takes to be able to retype something to kingdom come. I have to either idle for a few seconds waiting for it to reset, or use the mouse, or figure out where in the window I am relative to what I wanted and try to use the arrow keys. Either of those are really quite annoying when before W7 it used to be so easy, you could immediately retype something from scratch.
Anyone know of any solutions for this? I'd gladly trade the Vista and 7 Windows Explorers back for the one in XP if I could. :(