Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In an question i asked, it seems that one phone call will help to transfer the licensed copy of windows to the replaced hardware

Microsoft Windows Licensing, Validity/transferring between burnt/working MOTHER-BOARDS


What if i want to buy a new PC (without a operating system installed) and discard the old PC, will i be able to use the licensed copy of winXP on my new PC without paying anything extra?

Means, transfer licensed copy of Winxp or Win7 to New Computer?

Note: read a few answers but they all assume that the other computer will already have a licensed copy of Windows which needs upgrade, but here i am asking about transferring valid copy of RUNNING WINDOWS to my NEW BLANK COMPUTER.

share|improve this question
Do yourself a favor and DO NOT use Windows XP. In a very short period of time it WILL NOT BE supported by pretty much anyone. – Ramhound Feb 3 '12 at 19:49
up vote 5 down vote accepted

It depends. If Windows was licensed as OEM software (it came preinstalled from the hardware seller), the license is bound to the original hardware. You can't transfer the license to a new PC.

If it's a retail or other license, no problem, just install on the new PC as usual.

share|improve this answer
This is probably the simpliest answer. If it's a volume license, you won't be asking this question. My guess is that it is an OEM license. It's become rare to run into XP retail licenses. – surfasb Feb 3 '12 at 20:38

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .