Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking for a reading ruler for Mac OS X.

To be precise: I don't want to measure something. I have to read long texts, which can be very exhausting. A line or marker which is easy to move would help a lot to keep the eyes on the right line.

share|improve this question
up vote 0 down vote accepted

There is a Firefox extension called Paragrasp enabling you to read web pages with a marker.

Here is a short decription:

This Firefox extension adds a highlight to the paragraph you're reading, and with a single keystroke, moves to the next, automatically scrolling the page for you. Features include key configuration, color customization, mouse hiding, and control over scrolling position.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

When you read PDFs, the free and open-source Skim offers a Reading Bar. Turn it on by going to View » Show Reading Bar, or pressing Shift-Cmd-B.

You move it up and down by Alt - ↑ and Alt - ↓.

In Preferences » Display, you can change its color or invert it.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Thanks for the answer. However most of the time I have to read web pages. – BetaRide Feb 9 '12 at 8:41
Ah, fair enough! In the future, please state details like this in your question – otherwise people are bound to make assumptions. – slhck Feb 9 '12 at 9:45

I found this screen ruler. It's possible to configure it to show only the horizontal ruler and use it as a reading line.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .