Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking for a reading ruler for Mac OS X.

To be precise: I don't want to measure something. I have to read long texts, which can be very exhausting. A line or marker which is easy to move would help a lot to keep the eyes on the right line.

share|improve this question
up vote 0 down vote accepted

There is a Firefox extension called Paragrasp enabling you to read web pages with a marker.

Here is a short decription:

This Firefox extension adds a highlight to the paragraph you're reading, and with a single keystroke, moves to the next, automatically scrolling the page for you. Features include key configuration, color customization, mouse hiding, and control over scrolling position.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

When you read PDFs, the free and open-source Skim offers a Reading Bar. Turn it on by going to View » Show Reading Bar, or pressing Shift-Cmd-B.

You move it up and down by Alt - ↑ and Alt - ↓.

In Preferences » Display, you can change its color or invert it.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Thanks for the answer. However most of the time I have to read web pages. – BetaRide Feb 9 '12 at 8:41
Ah, fair enough! In the future, please state details like this in your question – otherwise people are bound to make assumptions. – slhck Feb 9 '12 at 9:45

I found this screen ruler. It's possible to configure it to show only the horizontal ruler and use it as a reading line.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.