Besides switching to Windows 64bit (or Linux 64bit) what is the best strategy to make the most of my 1GB PAE ramdisk (on a Laptop with a slow harddrive)?
Here http://windows7themes.net/how-to-use-4gb-ram-in-windows-7-32bit.html I learned how I can enable a PAE ramdisk on my 4GB system so that I can make some use of the 4th gigabyte (shame on Microsoft for disabling this in win32 for licensing reasons).
I see these options:
- Pagefile on ramdisk (current status, works fine so far),
- Readyboost on ramdisk (not tried yet),
- Temp files on ramdisk (currently firefox temps, system temps are said to cause installation trouble)
edit 2012-02-16: from the tips below the best solution seems to be:
- Pagefile on ramdisk
- Temp files on ramdisk that are not necessary for installation (firefox temp)
- flush ramdisk on shutdown (see registry tip below)