Recently I've tried to set up proxy using
ssh -D 2454 username@servername (to browse the Internet through ssh tunnel), but failed to do this correctly. I would be happy for any suggestions and/or links to manuals, containing some useful information or hints on how to troubleshoot it.
Here is more detailed description of the problem
- I run
ssh -D 2454 TheUser@TheServer(under user, not root). The command connects to TheServer and shows no warnings.
- In Mozilla Firefox under Edit>Preferences>Advanced>Connection Settings I choose the following settings: Manual proxy configuration, HTTP Proxy: 127.0.0.1, Port: 2454, SOCKS v5 (click this link to see the printscreen)
- Try to load a few pages. Firefox says "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading".
However Firefox feels that I forwarded the port: if I skip step 1 it says "Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections".
Some technical details:
- Local computer (127.0.0.1) is running Ubuntu 11.10.
- Remote computer (TheServer) is running Windows 7 with Cygwin.
- ssh connection does work (I can run commands on TheServer, rsync successfully downloads files from it)
- Proxy over ssh works just fine when I boot Windows and set it up with putty (with TheUser and TheServer unchanged).
- Mozilla Firefox works just fine without proxy.