Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a GT780DX and I'd like to use AutoHotKey to switch a few key functions, but also swap the keys so that I don't get confused.

Can I physically swap keys on a chicklet keyboard, without causing any damage to the keys or keyboard?

share|improve this question
up vote 0 down vote accepted

Basically, it depends on the keyboard. Some chicklet keyboards have separate caps for each key, in which case it's easy enough to open the case and switch the caps around. Some (like certain Lenovo models) have the whole keyboard wired as a single piece. Opening it means playing with wires (and definitely voiding your warranty).

In the case of your laptop, correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like it's a backlit keyboard. In this cae, I'm not sure you want to mess with it, unless you know for sure what you're doing and how to put it back.

My advice: if you're looking for a language-specific keyboard (like European or Latin key order), most manufacturers have such items and then you can replace the whole unit piecemeal.

share|improve this answer
no, I don't want a new language. I just want to swap a couple keys. – techaddict Feb 7 '12 at 8:32
no, I can see the keyboard is not a single piece. – techaddict Feb 7 '12 at 8:33
then go ahead and change the keys – Traveling Tech Guy Feb 8 '12 at 1:37

You could order some custom keyboard stickers.

share|improve this answer
This doesn't address the question at hand. The question is referring to the physical keys. – wizlog Feb 7 '12 at 22:56
Plus it is a backlit keyboard, so the keyboard stickers will not work. – techaddict Feb 13 '12 at 11:44

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .