Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A long long time ago, I saw there was a software for ubuntu that would let users attach two keyboards, two mice, two screens and then associate the hardware with the software. Then it would let people use the same computer at the same time for different work.

Simple: Two controllers, two screens, different work.

Now, I want to know what such type of software are called (so i can search for them) and i want to know, that if such a software is available for Windows and what's it called. And if anyone can tell me the name of the software on Ubuntu, that would be great too... :D

share|improve this question
FYI It's now allowed per the EULA for Windows – Raystafarian Feb 9 '12 at 16:02
@Raystafarian unless it is windows server with Terminal Services licences :) – Shevek Feb 9 '12 at 16:03
or you have two windows licences.... – Iain Simpson Feb 9 '12 at 16:04
@IainSimpson I don't think that's correct as a non server Windows installation can only accept a single licence key. Only Terminal Services allows for multi-seat licences. – Shevek Feb 9 '12 at 16:19
@Raystafarian You can't do it in Windows with software, but you can get VDI hardware adapters that (legally) allow this. – Joel Coehoorn Feb 9 '12 at 16:30

These softawares are called "MulltiSeat" (check on Wikipedia)

Sure it's possible. Get a look at UsefulMultiseat Linux for example.

and this

share|improve this answer
and thanks for the answer... i got to know about the system, but do i have to buy a device to connect the extra devices? or can i use the existing ports on my computer to connect it? for the monitor, it might be cheaper to buy a video card which will give me extra ports... what do u think? – Arjun Bajaj Feb 9 '12 at 16:42

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.