Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the name of this printer part:

part in respect to entire printerclose up of tear

and is it user serviceable? The printer in question is a HP Color LaserJet 2605dn.

FYI: The rip started really small, but I needed to print stuff for school and it expanded, it didn't get that big through sheer stupidity.



Looks like $170 + S&H to fix, but the comparable printer (HP Color LaserJet CP2025dn) is $550 so it's a tough call. :-/

share|improve this question
can you reupload your image with a freehand circle around what you're asking about, specifically? Your question is a little big vague. – studiohack Feb 13 '12 at 4:03
@studiohack My original had a link to 2 images, a close-up and this context shot. I'll relink it for the question's rake – ArtB Feb 13 '12 at 5:15
very good, thanks ArtB! :) – studiohack Feb 13 '12 at 5:34
@ArtB Do think twice before deciding to repair this printer. There are known problems with toner dust accumulating on laser lens which can lead degradation of image quality and is difficult to clean (and as far as I know Hewlett-Packard is still ignoring the problem) and the collection of toner on the transfer belt is also a problem on some units. – AndrejaKo Feb 13 '12 at 13:33
@AndrejaKo Yeah but I don't see another networkable duplex printer that is even double the repair cost, and image quality is not that important to me. – ArtB Feb 13 '12 at 16:07
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Your ETB (Electrostatic Transfer Belt) has a tear in it. Fortunately, it is user-serviceable (cleanable and replaceable).

It is part # RM1-1892-000CN and will run around $150-$200. You can see instructions in the service and troubleshooting manuals.

For future reference, it’s not a good idea to put anything on it. Perhaps even avoid touching it since it is a critical part. ;-)

share|improve this answer
Thank you, I didn't know what to even Google for. It's looks like one of the rubber bands in it snapped and as we printed it put more pressure to where the band ended up bunching up. – ArtB Feb 13 '12 at 5:36

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .