Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

On Facebook, there are currently messages floating around with these strange chars:

ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ กิิิิิิิิิิิิิิิิิิิิ ก้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

They are used to confuse the reader, because they break out of the designated text areas.

Do they really belong to a language? If so, which one?

share|improve this question
Was tempted to put it in the title, but didn't want to break the SE design. Would it work anyway? –  atticae Feb 13 '12 at 13:29
They also break the preview for this post. –  Ramhound Feb 13 '12 at 13:56
They belong to Thai. None of them are actual words. –  boehj Feb 18 '12 at 23:10
add comment

4 Answers

up vote 7 down vote accepted

They are Thai characters with long strings of combining diacritic marks after base characters. You do quite similar things with Latin letters, too, e.g. â̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂̂ (which is a with circumflex followed by several combining circumflexes). Or you could use a sequence of combining horns: ư̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̛ or cedillas: ç̧̧̧̧̧̧̧̧̧̧̧̧̧̧̧̧̧̧̧̧̧̧̧̧̧̧̧̧̧̧̧. It naturally depends on rendering software how the contrived sequences will be displayed.

share|improve this answer
Okay, what the … did you just do to this post of yours? :P –  slhck Feb 13 '12 at 14:37
add comment

Just search for them on Google. E.g. ก is Thai.

share|improve this answer
add comment

According to some very brief Google work, Google Translate believes they are Thai characters; which from the style looks about right.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.