This freezing issue has been reported by others over the past few months but no clear answer has been provided. Some have attributed it to Banshee or other music players but this is incorrect since I have this problem and never while using anything other than perhaps Firefox. (I am not sure if it is necessarily due to firefox). Logging out and logging back in seems to remedy the problem. However, it would be nice to fix things once and for all. This problem began in the past 3 weeks. I alway have all Mint updates implemented.
Unfortunatelly I don't have a "key in hand" solution but only some Tips to troubleshoot computer freezes under Linux:
The first step in troubleshooting is to get the data.
Suggested tool: System profiler and benchmark (hardinfo packet)
1. RAM: Check the memory with memtest86 (memtest86+ packet)
2. Hard disk: check the s.m.a.r.t data with GSmart Control (gsmartcontrol packet)
3. Overheat: sensors utilities for heat and fan speed: (lm-sensors, fancontrol, libsensors4, sensors-applet packets). Clean the dust if needed.
4. Graphic Card: If you have a Nvidia graphic card take a look at nvidia-settings packet. If you have an ATI Radeon, check for non-free drivers (search for flgx packets like flgx-control, etc)
5. BIOS: Check and keep note of the actual BIOS settings, Reset bios to the default setting. Finally check with the PC manufacturer if firmware is up to date
6. Power Supply: Your PSU may not be powerful enough or defective. Check for overheating, noises or weird smelling...
7. External devices: Sometime a faulty external devices is the source of the problem. Disconnect all the USB devices and see what's happen (or not). Check with another Keyboard/Mouse and see if that make any difference (not the same brand/model).
8. And last but not least: check with another user account...
Hope this help. Let us know. :)
Unless all programs are crashing randomly, or there's smoke coming out of your computer, it's extremely likely that it's a software problem. Since moving from Ubuntu 11.10 to Mint 12 64-bit in December, there are three major crashing issues: