We've been using VLC's VLM but it's just too painful to deal with any more with no relief in sight, so I'm looking for a solution that can:
- Take multiple feeds from IP cameras and captures cards and;
- Encode original streams using any standard codec (lossless or close to lossless) with user definable timestamp embedded into video.
- Can take advantage of multiple cores.
- Can automatically split output files after reaching certain file size.
- Display all streams in a mosaic for the operator.
- Actually has documentation...
- Doesn't cause ViewCast Osprey cards to crash the whole system every few hours...
The emphasis is on quality and many solutions (Eg: security oriented) have been inadequate which is why we went with VLC in the first place. Although we'd prefer software that can run on the machine doing the capturing, if we had to go headless and have software to display the mosaic for operator elsewhere then that would work too.