Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am editing a long Word document and would like to keep the table of contents in view so that I can stay oriented as I work on the main part of the document. Is there a way to do this, perhaps with a vertical split view with the table of contents on the left and the main text on right?

share|improve this question
up vote 13 down vote accepted

You can use the document map.

What it looks like

It will display the table of content on the left of your document:

enter image description here

How to display in Word 2003

To display the document map in Word 2003:

  • Go to Menu
  • View
  • Click on "Document Map" or "Navigation pan"

How to display in Word 2007+

In word 2007 or higher:

  • In the ribbon
  • View tab
  • Show/Hide section
  • Click on the checkbox "Document map" or "Navigation pan"
share|improve this answer
+1 for the precisely correct answer. :) – Li-aung Yip Feb 20 '12 at 14:44
Perfect, thanks. I found it in a slightly different place in Word 2007: View Tab on Ribbon, Show/Hide section, check 'Document Map'. But exactly what I was looking for. – KAE Feb 20 '12 at 16:48
@KE.: thanks for pointing out the right wording (my Word app is not in english :)). I've edited my answer thanks to your comment. – JMax Feb 20 '12 at 19:25
just to whom it may concern in my word the "Document map" is called "Navigation pan".. – user173455 Nov 14 '12 at 15:31
@Aiya: thanks. I've edited my answer to reflect your comment – JMax Nov 14 '12 at 18:15

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .