Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Can a crossover cable be used as a normal cable too, when using with a router, switch,hub etc.

What situations may it not work in and are there other issues to be aware of when using crossover versus normal network cables?

share|improve this question
The usual term is Ethernet crossover cable – RedGrittyBrick Feb 21 '12 at 17:45
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Wikipedia says

Owing to the inclusion of Auto-MDIX capability, modern implementations of the Ethernet over twisted pair standards usually no longer require the use of crossover cables.

Which implies that a crossover Ethernet cable can be used in place of a straight-through Ethernet cable with recent equipment.

Older Ethernet hubs and switches sometimes had a special "uplink" port or a "normal/uplink" button for this purpose,

Ethernet Hub with "normal/uplink" toggle-button

I don't see these on recent equipment. I believe this is because they nowadays have Auto-MDIX and don't need special ports or buttons for crossover connections.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
AFAIK the Auto-MDIX feature is mandatory for all Gigabit Ethernet ports, therefore if you have such a port at least on one side you have it for sure. – Robert Feb 21 '12 at 18:17
It may be worth mentioning that often you'll still see the equivalent of uplink ports where the switch has uplink ability at a different speed than its normal ports. 100M ports and 1G uplink, 1G ports and fibre uplink, etc. – Sirex Oct 18 '12 at 19:16

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.