I have a weird internet connection problem where certain sites I am unable to view specific content for some indeterminate period of time, and I'm not sure where to start solving it.
Often, when I am pretty sure I have internet connection with 300+ Kb/s, there are some strange connection errors I have trouble accessing.
For instance, when I view my stack-exchange user account, the images for some of the other linked stack-exchange websites are x'ed out. Then if I click on one of the x'ed out sites, I get "could not find server error", and I can't access that particular stack-exchange site. It's weird because I can browse through some of the other ones just fine.
When I search Google images, around half of the images seem to be x'ed out. If I click on x'ed out images, a majority of the time, the site seems to be down, although other times, I can load the image just fine.
When I watch videos on Hulu, sometimes the video fails to load and it tells me to clear the cache. I clear the cache "from beginning of time", and often it still fails to load.
On some websites, including Youtube, often the I get the page unformatted as though the css files were missing.
In fact, on websites with images in general, often a good number of the images are x'ed out.
This problem has been pretty prevalent for a few months now. A few weeks ago, I moved to a different house, and although it is not as severe, it still happens every now and then.
I let it go on for this long because kind of lazy and I figured I could live with it, but then it got into my head that it might be related to a security problem, then it grew really scary.
Right now I am using Chrome on Mac OS X Lion, but the same problems have come up on my iPad, virtual machines running on the Mac (Debian, openSUSE, PinguyOS), a laptop with windows 8 developer preview, windows 7, a couple of Linux partitions (Ubuntu and PinguyOS).
It seems really weird to me because it's prevalent on all my computers and it persisted even after I moved to a new home.