I recently tried out a cheaper KVM solution, a dual monitor one with a USB hub and audio/mic support.
It seemed the perfect KVM. However, these are my experiences.
- When using my keyboard via the PS/2 connection, none of my multimedia keys work (useful, because it has a volume control and my speakers do not, only on a wireless remote control.)
- I plugged the keyboard in via the USB port - and it seemed to work. However, I believe to switch the hub from PC to Mac, you need to use a keyboard combo, which is only supported when the keyboard is plugged in via PS/2
- Sometimes the middle mouse button doesn't work when connected via PS/2.
- The multi monitor is VGA - I just found out by the looks of things my Mac Mini outputs DVI Digital only (though this is my fault!)
- Mac works with 2 screens, but switching and switching back can cause it not to display on the 2nd screen unless I go detect displays again.
My question is - is there a KVM out there that supports these features?
- USB keyboard and mouse inputs will full multimedia keys support
- Dual monitor DVI connections
- Hotkey to change PCs and physical button
- USB hub
- Emulate screens attached when switching to a different computer
- Works with PC and Mac
- Audio / Microphone support
Does one exist, that won't cost the world? So far the only one that seems to support all this (that I can tell) is this one.
I ended up buying the Aten CS1642. It's expensive, but it seems to work great!