Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What are these buttons called?

Antipixel Valid XHTML Get Firefox Hacker / glider

share|improve this question
website example where these are used? – Troggy Sep 10 '09 at 23:39
Man, I've been wondering this for years. Great question. – Electrons_Ahoy Sep 11 '09 at 5:18
OMG! It's my question again. It's been so long. kiss – Nathaniel Aug 18 '11 at 5:50
up vote 4 down vote accepted

They're also sometimes called "chicklets" -- not to be confused with Chiclets, of course.

share|improve this answer
that's right +1 – Molly7244 Sep 11 '09 at 0:16
That seems to be the most definite answer, so you get the credit =) Here's some info on chiclets, BTW, although it seems these are oriented to be social bookmarking buttons: – Nathaniel Sep 11 '09 at 0:20
I've never heard the term "chicklets" before :-/ – David Z Sep 11 '09 at 0:25

Those are called antipixel badges or antipixel buttons. They're also known as brilliant buttons or steal these buttons.

Originated by and popularised by, 80 x 15 buttons are quickly becoming a web standard as their popularity rises among big blog owners and other web enthusiasts.

They're typically only 80 pixels wide by 15 pixels high and have been floating around since late 2002.

share|improve this answer
These are definitely Antipixel buttons. See for the note about the 80x15 size buttons. – The How-To Geek Sep 11 '09 at 1:43
Totally forgot the site of the quote when adding in all those links to the answer. – random Sep 11 '09 at 2:09
Oh, I didn't know they originated at Antipixel. Thanks for the info. – Nathaniel Sep 11 '09 at 17:22

Other than just calling them buttons - I believe they could be a form of Userbars, however I cannot find a definitive definition of a Userbar.

share|improve this answer

these buttons are called ... erm, buttons :)


Free Firefox Button For Your Website

share|improve this answer
"Buttons". Yep, that about covers it :-) – Rook Sep 11 '09 at 0:02
Yeah, it's just that they have a standard size, 80x15px, so I thought they might have a name. – Nathaniel Sep 11 '09 at 0:21

Badges, I think. Wikipedia calls them web badges.

For some reason I seem to remember seeing a different name, way back when I was hunting down ones to put on my website, but I can't remember it now. (In case anyone asks: it wasn't "chicklets")

share|improve this answer
that's also correct ... and i too seem to remember them being called something else 'back in the days' :) +1 – Molly7244 Sep 11 '09 at 0:34

You could use those for other purposes than buttons. You could simply use them as "designed for: " notes on a page. You could simply use them as pictures for some reason or another. And anything else you can think of. I think the official name would depend on the use.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .