Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If I select some text in a text input field/area/window, I can drag that text to another position somewhere within the text area using the mouse. Is it possible to do this dragging using the keyboard?
I can imagine some global key shortcut existing that would allow me to "drag" the text selection using the arrow keys; maybe even using keys like "End" and Page Up".

share|improve this question
Select txt, Ctrl+X, move with arrow keys and Ctrl+V? (Cut and Paste) :) – HaydnWVN Feb 24 '12 at 9:53
Avoiding copy/cut-pasting is one of the main reasons I want to do this in the first place—don't want to lose what's on my clipboard. :P – Protector one Feb 24 '12 at 10:05

Your best bet would be to use MouseKeys. It's one of the accessibility features of Windows 2000, XP, Vista and 7.

share|improve this answer
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Apart from using MouseKeys, it's not possible out of the box. You could probably create this functionality using something like AutoHotkey.

share|improve this answer
But mouse keys is built into Windows. That is "Out of the box" Did you just want to answer your own question? – Joe Taylor Mar 20 '12 at 11:24
That's why I said "apart from". I just wanted a better answer than the one available. – Protector one Mar 21 '12 at 14:52
But the one you gave and accepted wasn't in any way better. If you want a better answer offer a bounty and leave the question unanswered. – Joe Taylor Mar 21 '12 at 15:22
I also look for a way to use the keyboard to move selected text for the same reason as the answerer. The other answer presented here is terrible. It shows you a solution to use the mouse to move selected text, but at the enormous cost of losing your numeric keypad. Now if there were a way to turn mouse keys off and on with a keyboard shortcut then it might be an acceptable solution. – oscilatingcretin Jun 14 '12 at 13:47
@oscilatingcretin: Actually, you can toggle it with Alt+Shift+NumLock, but I still think it's hardly a solution. – Protector one Jun 14 '12 at 14:48

I just know moving lines ( in some editors like Notepad++ ) that Ctrl+shift+( up or down) moves the line upper or downer .

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .