Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If I select some text in a text input field/area/window, I can drag that text to another position somewhere within the text area using the mouse. Is it possible to do this dragging using the keyboard?
I can imagine some global key shortcut existing that would allow me to "drag" the text selection using the arrow keys; maybe even using keys like "End" and Page Up".

share|improve this question
Select txt, Ctrl+X, move with arrow keys and Ctrl+V? (Cut and Paste) :) – HaydnWVN Feb 24 '12 at 9:53
Avoiding copy/cut-pasting is one of the main reasons I want to do this in the first place—don't want to lose what's on my clipboard. :P – Protector one Feb 24 '12 at 10:05

Your best bet would be to use MouseKeys. It's one of the accessibility features of Windows 2000, XP, Vista and 7.

share|improve this answer
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Apart from using MouseKeys, it's not possible out of the box. You could probably create this functionality using something like AutoHotkey.

share|improve this answer
But mouse keys is built into Windows. That is "Out of the box" Did you just want to answer your own question? – Joe Taylor Mar 20 '12 at 11:24
That's why I said "apart from". I just wanted a better answer than the one available. – Protector one Mar 21 '12 at 14:52
But the one you gave and accepted wasn't in any way better. If you want a better answer offer a bounty and leave the question unanswered. – Joe Taylor Mar 21 '12 at 15:22
I also look for a way to use the keyboard to move selected text for the same reason as the answerer. The other answer presented here is terrible. It shows you a solution to use the mouse to move selected text, but at the enormous cost of losing your numeric keypad. Now if there were a way to turn mouse keys off and on with a keyboard shortcut then it might be an acceptable solution. – oscilatingcretin Jun 14 '12 at 13:47
@oscilatingcretin: Actually, you can toggle it with Alt+Shift+NumLock, but I still think it's hardly a solution. – Protector one Jun 14 '12 at 14:48

I just know moving lines ( in some editors like Notepad++ ) that Ctrl+shift+( up or down) moves the line upper or downer .

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.