Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I love my Filco keyboard, I use it as primary keyboard for my Lenovo thinkpad all time. Now Im moving into the mac world and wonder:

is it possible to split my USB keyboard between two USB ports, ie one at my lenovo and one at my new iMac.

I was thinking that maybe there exists some kind of box with a switch to decide which port should receive the input, or preferable it would be possible to switch between the two via a keyboard shortcut.

share|improve this question
Search your favorite vendor for KVMs. – Zoredache Feb 29 '12 at 10:09
You could do this in software easily with something like synergy, if you weren't tied into a hardware solution – Journeyman Geek Feb 29 '12 at 10:33
up vote 4 down vote accepted

I haven't used one that just does USB (USB switch) but I have used a few KVM switches* and most of them allowed me to switch with a keyboard command.

* You don't have to connect monitor and mouse to the KVM if you don't want to.

share|improve this answer

Yes but you need hardware to make it happen, SIIG makes a usb 2.0 switch There are other manufacturers, just posted this one as an example of what to look for.

share|improve this answer

I was looking for something similar to share my K&M between two laptops and came across this - that should do what you want.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .