Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to be able to swap my cmd, or what would be my Windows' key with my alt key, using AutoHotKey, thus making it more like a real Windows machine.

I am running Windows 7 64-bit.

share|improve this question
wwho -1'd me lol? – Jamie Hutber Feb 29 '12 at 21:46
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Use SharpKeys; this works on my early 2011 Macbook Pro running Windows 7 x64. The problem is that when you connect an external keyboard to your Macbook, the keys will be screwed up the other way around; it seems that Apple has wired the keyboard that way in hardware.

share|improve this answer
this did the trick, the other didn't – Jamie Hutber Jun 30 '12 at 12:31

AutoHotKey can do that. There are lots of examples online. You probably need the keynames RAlt, LAlt, LWin, and RWin.

I use


on Windows to put the keyboard shortcut key in the 'right' place as a Mac user.

share|improve this answer
sadly this didn't work. I tried along these lines already. ALl this does it more or less crashes my laptop. All buttons act as if they were being clicked with the windows key and alt is just broken. – Jamie Hutber Feb 29 '12 at 18:05
This works fine for me on Windows 7 so it sounds like there's something wrong with your setup. – bames53 Jun 22 '12 at 14:42

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .