Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I consider myself to be a fairly savvy computer guy, but this is a new one for me - I have an HP dv6-2155dx laptop. It has an integrated Intel HD graphics chipset. There are some scenarios (I haven't been able to nail down the exact steps to reproduce the issue) where the screen seems to fracture in horizontal bands, almost like there are artifacts on the screen, but this is on the desktop with no apps running. I don't really know what steps to take to begin troubleshooting this, let along fix it. Any thoughts?

share|improve this question
It sounds like a flakey cable from the motherboard to lcd. Sometimes moving the angle of the display will flex and hit the bad spot. Any chance the physical position of the screen is related? – jdh Mar 1 '12 at 4:14
Interesting point; I'll have to check that. – CodeMonkey1313 Mar 5 '12 at 16:38

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.