I have a QNAP TS-239 Pro II+ with 2 x 2 TB HDDs in RAID1. I'm running 3.6.0 Build0210 firmware. I access the NAS from my iMac (OS X 10.7.x). The NAS HDDs are formatted as ext4.
I'm sitting at about 90% capacity now and before it gets any fuller I'd like to sort things out. In the future, I will opt for two single HDDs as opposed to a RAID1 setup as HDD prices are absurd these days and I don't require what RAID1 offers me.
In the meantime, I wonder if I can pull one of the HDDs and still use the NAS? What I plan on doing is:
- Removing HDD2.
- Placing HDD2 in a dock and formatting it as HFS+ for use with my iMac.
- Turning on the NAS with only HDD1 in it.
- Copying the data from HDD1 --> HDD2.
- Waiting for HDD prices to drop to reasonable levels.
- Putting in 2 x 3 TB HDDs and using them as single drives, as opposed to RAID1 (or RAID0).
- Copying the data from HDD2 to the 2 x 3 TB HDDs.
Will the NAS work with one of the mirrored copies absent?