Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The power outlet where I charge my iPad is more than 16 ft away. I noticed there are two type of USB extension you can get, a regular one and a repeater/extender. Do I need a repeater/extender if I am just using this to charge my iPad and not for data?

share|improve this question
What about just a standard power extension cord? – LawrenceC Mar 7 '12 at 20:38
@ultrasawblade Yeah, that could work too, though it's more unwieldy I think compared to USB cable. – pixelfreak Mar 7 '12 at 22:19

Have you thought of using a USB/Mains wall outlet?

USB wall outlet

I use one of these RCA USB as I can travel with it and use it at home as well

Links are for North America outlets

share|improve this answer
See my comment on Zach's, replacing my outlet with USB version won't help. But thanks for the suggestion. – pixelfreak Mar 7 '12 at 22:20
-1 He said "The power outlet where I charge my iPad is more than 16 ft away" That means he is already using one. – barlop Apr 11 '12 at 6:09

Just to charge you should be fine, if you try to do any data transferring you may run into problems with signal loss.

Dave M's comment on getting a wall charger is spot on though. Why run a 16ft cord just to charge something?

share|improve this answer
You are missing the point. The distance between the outlet and the iPad are more than 16 ft. Yes, I can move all the furnitures away, but that's besides the point. I can't move the outlet, replacing it with a USB version won't help. But thanks for the clarification on the charge vs data transfer. I guess I'll get the regular extension. – pixelfreak Mar 7 '12 at 20:12

One easy thing you can do, and doesn't involve worrying about that electronic issue, is get a Mains extender cord

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
If you were to not do that, and to try to extend the USB.. then it's very much a technical electronic issue, like how far can 2 really thin wires(one 5V one GND) , from a USB cable, shielded, carry an electric signal. it may be 18 AWG.. – barlop Apr 11 '12 at 6:15
.. This link… says be aware of how long your runs are, and upsize to the next larger gauge if need be, by using a voltage drop chart or graph. <-- I suppose after a certain distance you may get a voltage drop. So the wires may be too thin to cover the distance. The fact that USB is shielded helps with one aspect, but I suppose won't stop the voltage drop(if there is a voltage drop). ANYHOW, that aside, as mentioned, the mains extension cord like one pictured, would solve it without a doubt no problem. – barlop Apr 11 '12 at 6:16

protected by Community Apr 26 '12 at 18:22

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.