I'm trying to remotely debug a problem with my Dad's office email:
They're connected to a Belkin N1 router using PPPoE provided by clara.net (a SOHO account I think). Using Outlook 2003 on Windows XP. Mail is download via POP and set to send via SMTP using relay.clara.net.
Issue: Every 2-3 days the email refuses to send for no apparent reason.
I've tried Outlook logging but haven't yet been able to catch it in the act.
Actions taken so far:
- firmware update on router
- DNS altered to specify Claranet as primary DNS and Google public as secondary
- Set static internal IPs
- Checked access settings and confirmed them to be working
- Enabled TLS, tried alternate port (587 instead of 25)
- Checked access via command line local to them and local to me; always seems to send and receive when I'm looking!
It's possible that there is a general internet slowdown but that's just assuming.
There are 2 wired and 2 wireless connections at most. SMTP fails randomly irrespective of the number of clients attempting to send.
Rebooting the router almost always allows an email to be sent but the reports are that at the worst this must be repeated each time an email is sent. ISP does give dynamic IPs.
Any suggestions for next line of attack?