Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a 1 gig netgear router connected to a 1 gig netgear switcher & then patched to my distribution throughout the house. My router is in the basement & I would like to have a ethernet hard wired remote access at a high point in my house for better coverage. What is the best solution or equipment for this. I do not need the remote access to be a switch.

share|improve this question
Can you please clarify on what you are trying to achieve. Are you trying to setup wireless access point on the second floor, but you don't have wired connection to the second floor? What remote access are you talking about. – chmod Mar 14 '12 at 20:53
I have a cat6 line up to the second floor which will give me much better coverage. – R Riddell Mar 14 '12 at 21:28

You can use either a wireless range extender or a wireless router (with DHCP turned off). In either case, it's wired to your network with a LAN cable, to bridge your wireless connections to the basement. Both are going to give you unused ethernet jacks for now, but potentially usable in the future.

share|improve this answer
I actually only need an access point without it being a switcher if they make one. – R Riddell Mar 14 '12 at 21:26

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .