After installing a lot of programs, my start menu on the windows and doc on mac collects to many object for visual control. So, organizing folder and placing (or installing) programs into these start menu/doc locations is a decent solution I’ve used in the past.
Now, I’d like to create a common organization across the various computers I use (work and home), creating categories like:
- Office (MS Office, Neat Receipts, etc.)
- Communication (IE, Safari, Skype, etc.)
- Multimedia (Quicktime, Roxio, etc.)
- Finances (Quicken, Links to budget files in Excel)
- Utilities (Disk utilities, winzip/7Zip, etc.)
The above are fine and I’m sure they could be more (but probably no more than 8-12 categories in all). The optimal solution is likely based on the context in which one uses the computer (work or personal or some sub-context). Yet, I’m wondering if there’s some standard or universal thought someone has put to this need that they might share.