Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

After looking here, I'm still at a loss.

Is it possible to enable a "Classic" view a la Windows XP's theme that would make the environment look more like Windows 2000?

If not, is there a way to reduce the size of Window borders?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Yes, Open My Computer > Click on System Properties > Advance System Settings (At left pane) > Advance Tab > Setting (Under Performance) > Click on Adjust for Best Performance. Click OK a few times.

After all these there should be notable change in the visuals of the screen.

Alternatively if you are on Windows 7 Ultimate (other version won't support) you can simply right click on the desktop > select personalize :
Here themes are arranged into 3 sections.

  • Unsaved Theme (If you have recently changed your wallpaper recently..)
  • Aero theme (This is the collection that Microsoft offers with Windows)
  • The last one is Basic and High Contrast Themes, here you will find Windows Classic theme that you are in need of.
share|improve this answer
Umm, Home Premium, Enterprise and Professional support the classic theme. – surfasb Mar 27 '12 at 1:08
@surfasb And is that worth a down vote? With current edits, Santosh's answer addresses the question better than yours does. +1 from me to compensate. – Amos M. Carpenter Mar 28 '12 at 7:51
I still don't see how this pertains only to WinUltimate. – surfasb Apr 3 '12 at 1:38
@surfasb I have done some editing, how is it now? – Santosh Kumar Apr 23 '12 at 12:59
Looks like a winner to me. – surfasb Apr 24 '12 at 1:28

You can reduce the border padding by going under Control Panel -> Personalization -> Advanced Settings -> Border Padding.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Since you're answering the "if not" section of the question, are you saying that it's not possible to change to a "classic" look? – Amos M. Carpenter Mar 28 '12 at 7:53

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.