Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

After looking here, I'm still at a loss.

Is it possible to enable a "Classic" view a la Windows XP's theme that would make the environment look more like Windows 2000?

If not, is there a way to reduce the size of Window borders?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Yes, Open My Computer > Click on System Properties > Advance System Settings (At left pane) > Advance Tab > Setting (Under Performance) > Click on Adjust for Best Performance. Click OK a few times.

After all these there should be notable change in the visuals of the screen.

Alternatively if you are on Windows 7 Ultimate (other version won't support) you can simply right click on the desktop > select personalize :
Here themes are arranged into 3 sections.

  • Unsaved Theme (If you have recently changed your wallpaper recently..)
  • Aero theme (This is the collection that Microsoft offers with Windows)
  • The last one is Basic and High Contrast Themes, here you will find Windows Classic theme that you are in need of.
share|improve this answer
Umm, Home Premium, Enterprise and Professional support the classic theme. – surfasb Mar 27 '12 at 1:08
@surfasb And is that worth a down vote? With current edits, Santosh's answer addresses the question better than yours does. +1 from me to compensate. – Amos M. Carpenter Mar 28 '12 at 7:51
I still don't see how this pertains only to WinUltimate. – surfasb Apr 3 '12 at 1:38
@surfasb I have done some editing, how is it now? – Santosh Kumar Apr 23 '12 at 12:59
Looks like a winner to me. – surfasb Apr 24 '12 at 1:28

You can reduce the border padding by going under Control Panel -> Personalization -> Advanced Settings -> Border Padding.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Since you're answering the "if not" section of the question, are you saying that it's not possible to change to a "classic" look? – Amos M. Carpenter Mar 28 '12 at 7:53

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .