Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I live in the USA and want to be able to watch UK TV streamed over the web. The relevant services are geographically crippled. I can do this by using a VPN proxy server in the UK, connecting to the VPN service using a straight Windows VPN connection. However, this means I have to watch everything on my PC.

The BBC iPlayer works on the Wii in the UK. So, I'd like to connect my Wii to a wireless router (LinkSys WRT54G2) and have that be automatically connected via VPN to my proxy service in the UK. If I can do this then I'd be able to stream UK TV direct to my TV via the Wii.

I thought I could have one router act as my VPN connection, connected to a 2nd router that connects to my Cable internet access. But this bit isn't working, any thoughts?

share|improve this question

migrated from Sep 13 '09 at 18:43

This question came from our site for professional and enthusiast programmers.

Unfortunately, Superuser doesn't allow any video game or console related content either. – JoshJordan Sep 12 '09 at 22:39
You need a UK TV licence in order to watch content from BBC iPlayer (i.e. you need to reside in the UK.) Without it, you would be breaking the law. – Kez Sep 13 '09 at 19:17
I have a UK TV Licence, I live ~6 months a year in UK and the other in US. I want the convenience of continuing to watch shows whilst in US. – nkimber Sep 16 '09 at 14:35
@Josh; It's PURELY videogame related. This has nothing to do with video games. – Phoshi Dec 9 '09 at 22:03

use - this works brilliantly. I live in the states too and never have had a problem with it. Simple set up too

share|improve this answer

If you flash your router with something like DD-WRT, you can have the router hold the VPN connection open for you.

Have no idea about the legality of connecting to a UK site from the US to use something that's geographically-bound, but the VPN aspect is legal :)

share|improve this answer

you can use a proxy server located in UK, you would just need to to configure internet connection in wii settings to use proxy server, it is fairly easy to do.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.