I have a Windows Media Player installation which is behaving strangely. I know I have the correct codecs installed for a piece of video,
- because it is Windows Media Video
- because the Zune software plays it just fine
- this is a recent problem; this type of video played just fine a week ago, but I have been unable to isolate the change that borked things (and I have System Restore disabled because the space on this SSD is cramped as it is)
When I try to view any video in Windows Media Player, the video does not play, and I just get this:
and none of the media buttons have any effect.
I have already tried the following:
- Uninstalling and reinstalling the KLite Codec Pack
- Uninstalling and reinstalling Windows Media Player via "Add or Remove Windows Features"
- Removing and allowing WMP to rebuild it's media library by erasing the
How can I troubleshoot this problem?