Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a device (camera) which needs 8-pin USB cable. I looked with Google and found "8-pin USB cable for camera xxxx model xxxx".

Do I need to buy this certain cable? Or is any 8-pin USB cable fine?

share|improve this question

closed as too localized by studiohack Mar 30 '12 at 19:46

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

up vote 0 down vote accepted

You can use any cable that matches the specifications of the camera. If all it says is 8-pin USB, then any such cable will do. That's the beauty of having a standard.

share|improve this answer
Well, the camera doesn't say anything and I don't have handbook anymore. But there's USB symbol. And I looked with Google, and it says it's 8-pin (but also "for camera xxxx model xxxx"). But like you say it's a standard so there are no "special" 8-pin USB cables, for certain devices, right? Any 8-pin USB should work – Ixxzz Mar 30 '12 at 19:17
Well, that is right, but there are many types of connectors. Look at the cable before you buy it and make sure that it will fit into the camera on one end and your computer on the other. My GUESS is that you need a USB 2.0 A to 8-Pin Mini B cable, but I can't tell without seeing the camera. – Skya Mar 30 '12 at 19:33

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .