Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a new laptop from HP and it seems that there is some electric shocks on it when it is plugged in which don't hurt but it does feel comfort for me. After 2 days of using it, it happens to be less now but I'm not sure if it will come back or not!

Do you know any reason for that and how can I solve it?

share|improve this question
up vote 10 down vote accepted

HP offers the following advice in their Electrical Shock Safety article (specifically, the section on Preventing tingle current):

If you are experiencing a tingle current while using your HP notebook computer, use a 3-wire power cord with your AC adapter and make sure that it is plugged into a grounded (3-hole) power socket. Occasionally, the ground wiring is not well-connected to the earth ground, so the tingle current sensation may still occur even though a 3-wire cord is used. Also consider the following:

If you believe tingle current has caused a problem on your computer, here are a few tips:

  • Contact a qualified electrician for help with connecting the power cord's third wire to a metallic grounded structure, such as a plumbing pipe (if allowed by the local electrical code), if you often use the notebook from the same location.

  • Change the AC adapter.

  • Increase ground isolation by placing an anti-static chair mat on the floor below the chair that you typically sit in while using the notebook.

  • Use a different 2-wire power outlet (not a different outlet on the same circuit). Discontinue using a power strip or relocating to a different room may help.

share|improve this answer

The grounding of the room is not properly done. Just get an electrician to do another grounding for you. But I would recommend you get an extension socket with 3pins (which is grounded) or better still get an extension socket with a surge protector. This worked fine for me.

share|improve this answer
I believe the term you mean is ground not earth. – Sion Jun 30 '12 at 4:57
@Sion The terms "earth" and "earthing" are the British English equivalents of "ground" and "grounding" in US English. – Indrek Jul 1 '12 at 16:44
@Indrek That is indeed good to know. Apologies if there was any insult. – Sion Jul 1 '12 at 19:01

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .