Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a problem with the fact that my Dell Laptop has the jack audio output uncomfortably to the front, and I always bump the jack with my knee. Is there any possibility to divert the audio stream (regardless if it streams from winamp, VLC, media players or browsers) to any of the USB ports situated on the sides? If possible I`ll then buy a USB to jack converter, in which I will plug the above mentioned problematic jack.

Windows 7, Dell Inspiron 1525.

share|improve this question

Just in case you have been looking at things like these... Logitech Syba etc... Those are not "USB to jack converters", they are USB sound cards. You need to install software with them, and then you have the laptop stop using the sound card that originally came with it, in favor of the new USB sound card you just installed.

No, you cannot just find some converter, and then "redirect" the audio output to a USB port. The computer is not built to work that way... the onboard sound card doesn't work that way for it is not wired that way.

So... your idea of using a USB sound card will work, just not how you thought it would work.

share|improve this answer
Thank you, duly noted. Cheers – mike the mech Apr 3 '12 at 19:08

I recently bought a Logitech H800 headset (USB/Bluetooth) and Windows just automatically routed my audio to the headset. It works this way on my work computer, my home computer, my Toshiba personal laptop, and my Dell Latitude E6500.

I don't know if an adapter will behave the same way, but a USB headset may be a viable alternative for you.

share|improve this answer
USB powered/connected speakers will behave the same way. – Jeremy W Apr 2 '12 at 16:12

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.