Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm trying to use Word's AutoCorrect feature to replace the space after certain words with a non-breaking space. I tried adding the pattern "theword " in the Replace field, but it refuses to autocorrect a pattern that ends with a space (the Add button becomes disabled). If I use the word alone, I get two spaces, one non-breaking and one regular space.

Is there a better way to do this?

Background: in Arabic, the word "and" is a single letter (و), and it's visually unpleasing to have it alone at the end of a line. I currently use Find and Replace to replace them, but I'm looking for a way for Word automatically add the non-breaking space.

share|improve this question

I'm assuming you're using Microsoft Word - which version?

In more recent versions you can edit the auto-correct options by going to File > Options > Proofing > Autocorrect Options...
In the replace box add the word you wish to replace (in this case "and") and in the next box the same word followed by the non-breaking space (shortcut is ctrl+shift+space)
Make sure plain text is selected, click add, and you're done!

There should be similar options available in older versions and in other word processing software.

share|improve this answer
I'm using Word 2010. I already tried that, and I mentioned in my question that "it refuses to autocorrect a pattern that ends with a space (the Add button becomes disabled)". – imgx64 Apr 4 '12 at 9:22
Sorry I missed that! – darkblackcorner Apr 4 '12 at 9:54
I can't see another way other than find/replace, though you could try a text expansion utility. – darkblackcorner Apr 4 '12 at 10:00

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.