Basically I want to download a file, but then have it automatically update if the web version changes.
- I'm expecting the web version to have a static URL.
- I'd like to be able to move the file around and still have this same magical property, in the same way a .lnk or symlink always points to the same resource.
- Unlike a symlink, if the web version can't be reached, the local version should still exist as the latest downloaded version.
- If the web version changes to a 404 page, etc. the local version should still exist as the most recent successfully downloaded version.
- I don't want the file to be inside some weird "web folder" or something, but a symlink to this location might be ok.
- The USBDeview app can read a usb.ids file stored in the same directory. It would be nice if this were automatically kept up-to-date with the version at http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids
- Datasheets for electronics components with static URLs, like http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tl072.pdf Would be nice if they were kept up-to-date instead of downloading periodically to see if there's been any changes.