Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

if I were to take laptop screen apart, would the backlight be a long, thin gadget along one of the edges, like maybe the bottom edge of the screen? Or is "backlight" actually a matrix of light emitting elements throughout the screen surface?

share|improve this question
I really want to recommend , where a TFT is disassembled with explanations in a very pedagogical fashion. – Daniel Andersson Apr 13 '12 at 11:55
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Newer laptops have LED lights throughout the rear surface, but older laptops have a CCFL fluorescent tube along an edge. I think it is usually along the bottom edge, allowing heat to rise out through the top.

There's a wikipedia page all about it.

share|improve this answer
If its an old school CCFL bulb, this instructable talks about it - in effect its a REALLY small florescent bulb. – Journeyman Geek Apr 13 '12 at 11:14
thanks. I guess the article was not very clear about what this stuff physically looks like. – EndangeringSpecies Apr 13 '12 at 11:22
Depends on the screen basically – ewanm89 Apr 13 '12 at 11:48

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.