Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Some months ago I needed a small keyboard and bought an Okion KM229 without noticing that it has no Home or End key. This makes it tricky to type as I'm so used to using these keys. I haven't yet figured out if there is a key combination that issues Home and End keystrokes. Does anyone have experience of these keyboards and know how to issue those keystrokes? The keyboard is used on a PC running Windows XP.

I have used the contact form on the Okion USA web site to ask this question but received no response.

Wikipedia suggests that Home and End keystrokes are issued with Fn-Left and Fn-Right on some limited size keyboards. However, although this keyboard has a Fn key, using it with the left and right keys does not produce the Home and End actions.

share|improve this question
Fn-Left and Fn-Right is fairly standard for Home/End. – Daniel R Hicks Apr 15 '12 at 21:19

Your best shot, in lieu of finding out if your keyboard has a proper key combo for this, is probably to use a program such as AutoHotkey to assign a key combination as a hotkey for the Home and End keys.

For example the following would assign Win + H to the Home key and Win + E to the End key.


Simply install AutoHotkey, save those two lines to a file, HomeEnd.ahk for example, and run the newly created file, this should give you access to the Home and End keys via the hotkeys I mentioned.

Autohotkey also has a "compiler" that can convert a script into an executable by bundling the script and interpreter together so that you only have one thing to execute and don't need to install AutoHotkey on every machine. You could simply have your compiled script on a USB key.

The documentation for AutoHotkey may also be of use to assign the keys to whatever key combo you like.

share|improve this answer
I'm familiar with AutoHotkey and will consider using it if I don't find any trick native to the keyboard. – Steve Crane Apr 15 '12 at 18:54

On most small keyboards (including many notebook keyboards) Fn+→ (right arrow) will function as the End key.

share|improve this answer
My laptop has (Home) and (End) keys, and yet (Fn)+(← (left arrow)) and (Fn)+(→ (right arrow)) function as Home and End. – G-Man May 23 '15 at 20:48
Worked for me, not sure why anyone down voted it, as it doesn't require any external hotkey app (if it works on yours, that is) – Dave Jul 7 '15 at 15:34


running W8: Fn right arrow = END Fn left arrow = HOME

Hope this helps somebody.

share|improve this answer
The question explicitly says that the asker tried this and it didn't work. – David Richerby Oct 10 '15 at 0:22

I had the same problem admittedly with a crappy Chinese imitation of an Apple mini keyboard (there literally is no model or manufacturer identifier on it whatsoever). I used AutoHotKey to map Win-x to End, and Win-z to Home. I had to do a bit more work to @Mokubai's answer in order to make Ctrl-End, Shift-End, and Ctrl-Shift-End work though:

; Home

; Win-z = Home = start of line
#z::Send {Home}

; Ctrl-Win-z = Ctrl-Home = start of document
^#z::Send {LCtrl down}{Home}{LCtrl up}

; Shift-Win-z = Shift-Home = select to start of line
+#z::Send {LShift down}{Home}{LShift up}

; Ctrl-Shift-Win-z = Ctrl-Shift-Home = select to start of document
^+#z::Send {LCtrl down}{LShift down}{Home}{LShift up}{LCtrl up}

; End

; Win-x = End = end of line
#x::Send {End}

; Ctrl-Win-x = Ctrl-End = end of document
^#x::Send {LCtrl down}{End}{LCtrl up}

; Shift-Win-x = Shift-End = select to end of line
+#x::Send {LShift down}{End}{LShift up}

; Ctrl-Shift-Win-x = Ctrl-Shift-End = select to start of document
^+#x::Send {LCtrl down}{LShift down}{End}{LShift up}{LCtrl up}
share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.