I had a 500GB drive HDD crash about 5 days ago. I used
ddrescue on the important partition a few days ago, and it's been on "Trimming failed blocks" for almost 2 days now.
ddrescue -n /dev/rdisk1s2 /Volumes/OSXBackup/rdisk1s2.img /Volumes/OSXBackup/rdisk1s2.log
Initial status (read from logfile) rescued: 248992 MB, errsize: 1007 MB, errors: 15867 Current status rescued: 249021 MB, errsize: 978 MB, current rate: 17408 B/s ipos: 44405 MB, errors: 15866, average rate: 2784 B/s opos: 44405 MB, time from last successful read: 0 s Trimming failed blocks...
The original command used the
ddrescue -n parameter, and I have restarted the process a few times as needed (and it seemed to pick up right where it left off each time).
Is there any way to speed up this process?
Edit: Six hours later, this is the current status:
rescued: 249079 MB, errsize: 920 MB, current rate: 409 B/s ipos: 39908 MB, errors: 15851, average rate: 2698 B/s opos: 39908 MB, time from last successful read: 0 s Trimming failed blocks...
It appears that while "errors" is counting down excruciatingly slowly, ipos/opos is counting down how much data it has to churn through, and it seems to be working at a rate of 750MB/hour. At this rate, it will complete in ~53 hours. Yikes.
Edit #2: Two days later, still running. However, there is hope. It has moved passed the "Trimming failed blocks" portion, and on to the next phase "Splitting failed blocks". If anything, what should be taken away from viewing this question is that this definitely takes a long time when a good amount of data/errors are involved. My only hope is that I can successfully recover some important data when all is said and done.
rescued: 249311 MB, errsize: 688 MB, current rate: 0 B/s ipos: 26727 MB, errors: 15905, average rate: 1331 B/s opos: 26727 MB, time from last successful read: 20 s Splitting failed blocks...