Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I use a PC for most of the day and Mac at home occasionally. Having to switch between 2 keyboard layouts is a massive brain adjustment.

Is there a way to at least to make Ctrl+Arrow act on a Mac like it does on a PC?

Bonus for Home, End, Ctrl+Home, Ctrl+End

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted


System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard > Modifier Keys... 

alt text

There you can exchange the keys.

Regarding the Home & End keys, I just found this Lifehacker article (there are a few other like this out there). It involves editing the file:


Although not tested by me, it should work, see comments by churnd

share|improve this answer
Awesome. Now how do I get the Home key to go to the beginning of the line and the End key to the End of the line? – AngryHacker Sep 15 '09 at 6:13
Edited the answer for Home & End keys. – dertoni Sep 15 '09 at 7:16
I use that solution for the Home and End key to navigate beginning/end of lines, and it works for me. – churnd Sep 15 '09 at 12:11

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.