Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have an English version of Windows 7, but my keyboard is Japanese.

However, even though I choose a Japanese keyboard (Microsoft IME) under Keyboard and Languages, the layout isn't right. I think it's English layout, but I can't be sure.

Anyway, I want the layout and usage to be exactly like it is on a Japanese Windows 7, as there are some nice (mouse free) shortcuts to change between input modes. Any suggestions?

share|improve this question

You can edit the registry to change from a 101 key keyboard to a 106 key keyboard. Go to:

Change the value of LayerDriver JPN from "kbd101.dll" to "kdb106.dll", and three other settings.

share|improve this answer
I also had to change the KeyboardSubType to 2. I followed the official Microsoft directions found here: – Peter Jan 2 '14 at 13:17

Find the following registry key:


change these entries:

LayerDriver JPN REG_SZ kbd106.dll
OverrideKeyboardIdentifier REG_SZ PCAT_106KEY
OverrideKeyboardSubtype DWORD 2
OverrideKeyboardType DWORD 7
share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.