Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have received a form by email that has to be filled in and either printed or sent back by email. When I type, the characters move everything to the right like when you use the space key. Can't figure out why this is. What do I do to stop everything moving like that whenI type?

By the way, this is a Microsoft Word 97-2003 document

share|improve this question

Press Insert to replace the existing text instead of moving it away.

enter image description here

Otherwise, print the document, fill it out by hand and scan it.

share|improve this answer
Does not work. It is a field that has to be filled in - like NAME...... – mash Apr 21 '12 at 11:29
Sorry, then I have a hard time imagining it. Would it be possible to get a screenshot of such a form? Or even an example document? – Oliver Salzburg Apr 21 '12 at 11:31

The form was created with tab stops, go to menu bar, format then tabs from the tab pop-up window click clear all

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.