How do I undelete (recover) a deleted file on a btrfs partition?
I have not taken a snapshot yet, so I can't use that feature. I know there are some tools for other Linux file systems, but google has not turned up anything specific to btrfs. I came across one vague mention that btrfs includes an undelete tool, but I can't find it. Before trying tools for another file system, I'm asking here.
- The (two) deleted files were deleted by a remote
rsynccommand gone wrong.
- These were small plain text files.
- I know the names of the files.
- I might be able to remember some strings in the files.
- The disk is a regular HDD, but it is large (2TB).
- I'm running Kubuntu 12.04 (beta2) with all latest updates.
- I have not written any new data to the partition the files were deleted from.
- I don't have a snapshot or a backup of these files. (The last backup is just a few hours older than these files.)
- Strangely, a COW file system seems to have fewer file undelete options than ext3/4...