I was asked to fix a Windows XP PC whose internal NIC stopped working over night.
The following has already been found out / tried:
- NIC is not in device manager any more (it shows up however if enabling "show hidden devices")
- Internal NIC is enabled in BIOS
- An additional PCI network card was installed but it doesn't show up in device manager as well
- Moving back to System Restore Point before it stopped working
- I even did a fresh installation of Windows XP but the card was not detected either (as unknown device, because no drivers have been installed yet)
The only idea I have left is to plug out all PCI devices (there is only a TV card left) - maybe a defect card could influence the internal NIC as well? Other than that - any ideas?