This is what I did, can anyone tell me how to get out of this dead end please? ...
- "Fresh install" of vista onto C: actually just did a factory restore using the HP tool
- Created a new partition for data = F:
- Moved the "documents" folder with the following method [a] Start [b] right click on "documents" select properties [c] location tab [d] move [e] select F: [f] accept the dialogue box that said "do you want to move all the files from the old location to the new location? ... We recommend ... "
- Moved the "contacts" folder with the same method as above [a-f] plus there was another dialogue box [g] accepted "Do you want to redirect the folder "contacts" into another system folder located at "F:\" If you proceed with the redirection you will not be able to seperate them or restore default location." [h] Then there was another dialogue box which said "There is already a file with the same name in this location. Click the file you want to keep". desktop.ini. Options = copy & replace/ don't copy/ copy but keep both files. I selected the 'copy & replace' * I assume this was the step I really really shouldn't have done *
- Moved the desktop folder using exactly the same method as for contacts.
So now my documents, desktop and contacts are all the same. Erp. really not very good. I suspect that I reload all my documents from before the factory restore they're going to appear as desktop items .
I tried right clicking on each of the folders and changing the location to a new one (C:\first) but I got a message saying "failed to build the list of regular subfolders under "F:\System Volume Information" Access is denied" - which I simply don't understand.
So. How do I get out of this?
Can I create 3 new folders and edit or replace each one's desktop.ini file to recreate the separate desktop/ contacts/ documents? Do I need to download an ini file/ ini settings or something?
thanks in advance for any help at all.