Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a software package available that can serve up a hard-drive internal to a PC and make it available over USB to other USB Master nodes as mass storage?

Ex: take your C: or /dev/hda drive on a PC (let's call the computer PC-A), and run a driver program which makes your C: or /dev/hda drive available to external devices as USB mass storage. When you'd hook up another PC (PC-B) to PC-A via USB, it would detect a USB mass storage device, which is C: or /dev/hda on PC-A.

Is this even possible?

EDIT: I know that there are other ways of making data on a drive available between two different computers (eg. putting PC-A's hdd in a USB-drive-enclosure, or having PC-A make the hdd available via a network share). But I'd like to know if the method that I describe above is even technically possible.

share|improve this question
It should be possible, the TouchBook basically does this. Maybe ask on the AlwaysInnovating forums: – he_the_great Sep 15 '09 at 21:39
See my answer to this question:… – LawrenceC May 22 '12 at 2:31
up vote 2 down vote accepted


If you use a normal cable, the hosts will both try to provide power over the usb cable causing a short with the end result ranging from fried usb ports to dead motherboards. You need to buy a special USB to USB transfer cable with a controller somewhere between the jacks.

share|improve this answer

The two better ways to approach this would be:

  1. Get an external enclosure for the hard drive (
  2. Share the drive as a network drive for other machines to use
share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.